Well its been about a month of schooling and my life has been busy as normal for a semester at Troy University. However, there's something different about this semester. Here's the big surprise: I've been running! Yesterday in fact I ran four miles (a fact I'm very proud of).
The reason, well let me just say I'm going to run the run of my life! The goal is a half marathon, or 13.1 miles. My sister gave me the idea when she mentioned during the spring she was running The Pensacola Half Marathon in November. I told her then that I would join her but didn't really take it to heart until I got back to Troy.
However, when I got here I knew I wanted to stay healthy and active and since my girlfriend had given me a half-marathon training guide I started to follow it. Since then I've become more and more excited about the race since I've seen myself progressing and being pushed further and further.
Therefore I am determined to keep running each week, building up my endurance little by little until I can complete the race. I never thought I'd ever be able to run that far and to be honest I'm not anywhere near being able to yet, but I'm enjoying the discipline and challenge it provides me.
Also I'm enlisted some guys to train with me. Junho is a new friend I met who came to Troy from South Korea. He is a very good runner and actually has run the distance of a half marathon before. He and I usually run three or four evenings each week and I have really appreciated his company. Another pal has been Trey Stewart. He has run with us a couple times, and helped me to keep going even when I was really tired.
Anyway, this is a long process but I'm committed to it so hopefully sometime around November I'll be able to blog about how I ran a half marathon. I'll be sure to keep Hebrews 12:1 on my mind as I go through this and of course all glory goes to God.
So wish me luck, and I'll be sure to write more about it later.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:1-2a
Hey, Mark. Can I write your name on the comment? I'm just wondering whether you are using your blog anonymously. Congratulations on your first blog about running. As the same as you, I'm also enjoying the discipline and challenge running provides me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing my name on this post. I made a smile when I read the part that you mentioned my name cuz I didn't expect it at all. Running reminds me of the dreams. And it provides me clear thoughts.
Without you, I would have run the same track in the soccer filed, and been sick of running by seeing the repeated scenery. Thank you for guiding me new running course every day.
Sorry for not to run today. We can run together this Thursday!^^ Also, let us sign up for a half marathon contest around November.^^
Yaaay! I'm so proud of you!! I wish I could be there running with you, but I WILL be there to cheer you on in the half-marathon. :D
ReplyDeleteAlso, Heb. 12. 1-15 is my running mantra! I love that passage, it's great to cite while running. Here are some of my other favorite verses to remember while running or working out: Philippians 3.13b-14 (pressing on!) and 1 Tim. 4.8 (reminds me to work as hard at pursuing God as I do at running).
Keep on running! We should see if there's some kind of race during the time we're at Disney that we could run together. :D
love you.