Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Justice

I read in the book of Isaiah recently and the word "justice" really seemed to jump out to me. Listen to the first two verses of Isaiah 56:

"This is what the LORD says:
"Maintain justice
and do what is right,
for my salvation is close at hand
and my righteousness will soon be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man who does this,
the man who holds it fast,
who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it,
and keeps his hand from doing any evil.""


I know there is a lot more to this verse than just the justice part, but justice is something I've always been a fan of. I recently watched a video talking about fighting human trafficking and bringing justice to those involved (whether it be punishment or freedom from slavery).

But I think that injustice is also something we all face on a daily level. We all have to fight compromise and take a stand. The Lord says in these verses we are to "do what is right" as well as to "keep [our] hand from doing evil." This is a battle that starts at a personal level.


"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?"
Isaiah 58:6

No comments:

Post a Comment